Real estate and taxation

Real estate and taxation

It’s important to note that tax laws are subject to change, and it’s advisable to consult with a tax professional for the most up-to-date and personalized advice. Here are some key aspects of building owner taxation in Canada:

Rental Income Tax:

Rental income from a building is generally considered taxable income. Building owners need to report rental income on their annual income tax return. They can also deduct eligible expenses related to the property, such as mortgage interest, property taxes, and maintenance costs.

Capital Gains Tax:

When a building is sold, any capital gain is subject to taxation. However, the principal residence exemption may apply, allowing individuals to avoid or reduce capital gains tax on the sale of their primary residence. Rules surrounding this exemption can vary, and eligibility criteria must be met.


Building owners can claim depreciation on the building as a tax deduction. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) provides guidelines for calculating and claiming capital cost allowance (CCA), which is the tax term for depreciation.

Goods and Services Tax (GST)/Harmonized Sales Tax (HST):

Commercial property transactions may be subject to GST or HST. Residential properties are generally exempt from these taxes, but certain new or substantially renovated homes may be subject to GST/HST.

Provincial Taxes:

Provinces may have additional taxes or credits related to property ownership. For example, some provinces have a Land Transfer Tax that is payable when property changes hands.

Tax Credits and Incentives:

There are various federal and provincial tax credits and incentives related to energy efficiency, accessibility, and other property improvements. Building owners should explore these opportunities to potentially reduce their tax liability.

Non-Resident Withholding Tax:

If a non-resident of Canada sells Canadian real estate, there may be a requirement to remit a portion of the sale proceeds to the CRA as non-resident withholding tax.

It’s essential for building owners to keep thorough records of their income and expenses, stay informed about tax changes, and seek professional advice to optimize their tax position and ensure compliance with Canadian tax laws. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website and publications are valuable resources for understanding tax regulations in Canada.


Leave a Reply