Can I charge a rent to my company if I use my house for business purpose ?

Can I charge a rent to my company if I use my house for business purpose ?

Yes, in Canada, it is possible for a business owner to charge their company rent for the use of their personal residence for business purposes. However, there are several important considerations and guidelines to keep in mind:

Fair Market Value (FMV): The rent charged should be at fair market value. This means it should be similar to what an unrelated party would pay for a similar space in the same location. Charging an unreasonably high or low amount may attract scrutiny from tax authorities.

Documentation: It’s crucial to maintain proper documentation of the arrangement. This includes a formal agreement outlining the terms of the rental arrangement, such as the amount of rent, the duration of the agreement, and any specific terms and conditions.

Business Use Percentage: The portion of your home used for business purposes should be determined, and rent should be charged accordingly. For example, if 20% of your home is used for business, then 20% of the fair market value of rent would be charged.

Tax Implications: The rental income is considered taxable income, and you will need to report it on your personal tax return. On the flip side, your company can deduct the rent as a business expense, provided it meets the necessary criteria.

Goods and Services Tax (GST)/Harmonized Sales Tax (HST): Depending on your business and its registration for GST/HST, you may need to charge and remit GST/HST on the rent. Check with a tax professional to determine the specific requirements for your situation.

Home Office Expenses: If you are claiming rent as a business expense, you may not be able to claim other home office expenses for the same space. Consult with a tax professional to ensure compliance with relevant tax rules.

It’s important to note that tax laws and regulations can be complex and subject to change, so it’s advisable to consult with a qualified tax professional or accountant to ensure that you are following the appropriate guidelines and maximizing the benefits available to you.


Leave a Reply